Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Lululemon Tips & Tricks

Photo Courtesy: richardfinchtiles.com

I was at the gym working out last week and noticed some funky smell coming from someone. I was so grossed out. I kept thinking don’t people wear deodorant. That’s when I realized, the smell was coming from ME.

Ugh! I swear I wear deodorant. I realized the smell has been coming from my Lululemon workout shirts. Okay – I’ve had them for years. Yes – I wash them regularly. But clearly I can’t get out the nasty smell that accumulates over the years.

I couldn’t take it anymore. I headed on over to Lululemon, which BTW, I haven’t visited in at least a year. On a side note, my wardrobe consists mainly of Lululemon. I have everything from pants, shirts, jackets, sweaters, socks, shorts, etc… I pretty much bought out the store :)

I picked up 2 new black shirts. I need to wear black for work. They’re also very slimming. Plus, they come with the built in bra which works wonders for my bodacious tat-as.

When I was checking out, I asked the woman behind the counter how I can keep the funky odours out of my shirt. (I don’t embarrass easily.) She recommended washing your Lululemon clothing with detergent + 1 cup of vinegar. She also said you can head over to your local sporting goods store and pick up heavy duty “athletic” detergent. I think I’ll try the vinegar option first.

Here are some other tips I’ve learned through the years about Lululemon clothing:

- Wash all Lululemon stuff together, no cottons
- Wash in cold water
- Hang to dry (or at the very least don’t include any other clothing)
- No dryer sheets

I’ve been obsessed with their products for years. I even had to unsubscribe to their email list because it makes me want to go out and buy the latest and greatest.

Lululemon actually has a brilliant marketing strategy. They offer most pieces in limited quantities. This makes women rush out to buy it before they are gone. It’s scarcity marketing. People eat this up – me included!

I know Lululemon is not cheap. But really, the stuff lasts. I live in it – I need it to last.

At the store, I experienced awesome customer service. I even asked the check-out lady if there is a discount for fitness instructors. Guess what? Trainers get 15% off all purchases as long as they bring in a copy of their paystub. I didn’t have mine with me but they honoured my CanFit Pro card anyway. I ended up saving $20. You know how I like a good savings!?!

Lululemon truly is a great store with a great philosophy. My credit card hopes I don’t have to go back anytime soon :)

Simply Yours,

Pinterest

{ 7 comments… read them below or add one }

George Wiley November 20, 2012 at 7:12 pm

Vanessa, I’m extremely curious to hear if either the vinegar or athletic detergent worked for you, to remove the odor from your Lululemon shirts! I also love LULU products (so much that I’m a shareholder too), but I also have this issue with the odor in my shirts.

I’ve always followed the proper care instructions: wash LULU items not with my other clothes, cold water, no softener, hang dry, but can’t figure out how to get rid of this annoying odor.

Would like to try the vinegar but afraid it might ruin my shirts. What happened when you tried it?

Your advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks!
George

vanessa November 20, 2012 at 7:50 pm

George,

The vinegar does help to cut down on the odour. I love that it’s a cheap solution. It does not damage the clothing at all. I’ve even soaked my Lulu clothing overnight in vinegar & water. That’s when I get the best results. You will see “white stuff” (I think it’s deodorant) come to the surface of your clothing. It goes away once you run it through the wash.

As for heavy duty athletic detergent, I’ve never tried the stuff, but I hear it’s the best!

Good luck!

V.

Stephen Steinberg, Founder & CEO of Raw Athletics January 25, 2014 at 2:56 pm

Vanessa-

I know this thread is over a year old, but I noticed that you HADN’T tried a sports laundry detergent on your lulu. If you want to try our Vapor Fresh Sports Laundry Detergent (http://www.rawathletics.com/vapor-fresh-sports-laundry-detergent/), I’d love to send you a container for free to try out! It’s completely free of artificial fragrances, fabric softeners, dioxanes and phosphates. You can shoot me an email at stephen a t rawathletics d o t com

-Steve

Corinna October 19, 2013 at 4:08 am

Thanks so much for the tip, Vanessa. I have a whole drawer full of Lululemon clothes, which I obviously wash whenever I sweat in it, but lately I’ve noticed that even just opening that drawer lets out a world of stink… I need to find a solution… think I’ll try your vinegar trick.

~Corinna

rj November 14, 2013 at 11:39 pm

I have had the same problem with my basic v neck shirts. I’ve tried baking soda and vinegar but it was a temporary help as the smell came back. I had to get rid of the shirts and i buy silvercent shirts now.

Taylor March 19, 2014 at 7:48 am

It is not you. I had the same problem from the moment I bought this shirt. It starts to smell WITHIN 20 minutes even though it doesn’t smell when I put it on.
It’s as though body heat does something to it. It has to be the material.
I have Levis jeans that do the same but ALL of my other jeans I have (some I have been wearing for NINE years) don’t ever smell even if I wear them 5-10 times without washing and the levis smell during the first wear.

Can someone shine some light on this issue?
I often go out dancing in a dress and it will be soaked through with my sweat and then I can go home in the afternoon and take it off, shower and go to wash in the next day and it doesn’t smell like anything but perfume and if I’m unlucky a little cigarette smoke from walking past the smokers area but this shirt smells like onions after 15 minutes wear.

Uhhhhhh August 18, 2014 at 5:51 pm

LOL. Why did you post this article and not even state whether it works? LOL. Useless.